The Scarborough Surf Festival takes place today
Surfers will descend on Scarborough today for the town’s annual surf festival.
The festival takes place between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. in the North Bay area of the city with the backdrop of Scarborough Castle.
A colorful display of vintage VW campervans and beetles will line the Freddie Gilroy sculpture walk in the plaza outside The Sands resort.
Scarborough Borough Council events manager Vicki Jones says there’s a lot going on in and out of the water.
People will be able to try out the surf simulator and rock climbing wall and get involved in creating large-scale sand art on the beach with animated objects.
Vicki Jones is Scarborough Borough Council’s Events Manager; she says the event isn’t just about catching a wave.
Anyone wishing to attempt an invigorating dip in the sea can join The Hub sea swimmers on the slipway in the piazza at 10:00 am.
At 1 p.m., a fun surfing competition (whitewater only) for children aged 8 to 14. Foam boards will be provided but participants will need to wear their own wetsuit.
12 places will be available for a competitive “expression session” at 2:15 p.m. Competitors will have to provide their own boards and wetsuits. They must be self-sufficient in the surf line and able to paddle and launch efficiently on unbroken waves.
Registration for the above two competitions will take place on the same day at the Scarborough Borough Council events team tent.
Everyone is encouraged to get involved in the beach cleanup from 2pm to 4pm with Journey Blue and Keep Britain Tidy’s ocean recovery project. Waste pickers should meet near the benches in front of The Sands complex.
The full itinerary for the day (weather and surf conditions permitting) is:
- 09:30 ~ 11:00 Wave Project – Surf Therapy Sessions: Already pre-booked as part of the youth courses. Come say hello and see what we’re talking about. Visit: www.waveproject.co.uk
- 10:00 a.m. ~ Hub Sea Swimmers – Head to the slipway in the Piazza for an invigorating dip in the North Sea.
- 10:00 a.m. ~ 4:00 p.m. ~ Surf Simulator
- 10:00 a.m. ~ 4:00 p.m. ~ Rock Climbing Wall
- 11:00 a.m. ~ Introductory surf lesson session with Dexter’s surf school. Up to 8 students. £5 donation to Closer Communities. For bookings please call Dexter’s Surf Shop 01723 377565 Age Restrictions 5~8 years.
- 11:00 a.m. ~ 1:00 p.m. ~ Participate in the creation of a large-scale sand art piece with animated objects.
- 11:00 am ~ Scarborough Surf School ~ Supergroms Workshop (Pre-booked only) – Competition preparation, surf-specific warm-ups and board technology. www.secretspot.co.uk
- 12:00 ~ 12:45 ~ Happy Seal Yoga ~ Join Helen for a 45 minute yoga class by the sea for £7.00. For reservations, please visit: https://www.happysealyoga.com/service-page/scarborough-surf-festival-yoga
- 12:00 p.m. ~ Surf lesson initiation session with Dexter’s surf school. Up to 8 students. £5 donation to Closer Communities. For bookings please call Dexter’s Surf Shop 01723 377565 Age Restrictions 8-16.
- 1:00 p.m. ~ Surf lesson initiation session with Dexter’s Surf School. Up to 8 students. £5 donation to Closer Communities. For bookings please call Dexter’s Surf Shop 01723 377565 Age Restrictions 16+
- 1:00 p.m. ~ Fun competition for young people ~ Whitewater attire only, on foam boards (provided) Wetsuits essential (20 x Children 8-14 yrs / 4 x 15 mins) Register at the SBC registration tent.
- 1:30 p.m. ~ 3:30 p.m. ~ Participate in the creation of a large-scale work of sand art with animated objects.
- 2:00 PM ~ 4:00 PM ~ Beach Clean with Journey Blue and Keep Britain Tidy’s Ocean Recovery Project. Meet near the benches in front of the Sands complex in North Bay. Join our Journey Blue and Ocean Recovery Project Coordinators. www.voyage-bleu.com
- 2:15 p.m. ~ Expression session (12 x competitors) Competitors must supply their own boards and wetsuits. Must be self sufficient in the surf line and able to paddle/launch effectively on unbroken waves. Register at the SBC registration tent.