The Canary Islands Guide #WeekendTips July 22-24, 2022: The Canary Islands
• 22-25 July, Gáldar
• 540º Fiestas Mayores de Santiago
Gáldar celebrates one of the city’s main fiestas, the 540th Festivities Mayores de Santiago de los Caballeros, Saint James of the Knights, from July 8 to 27, 2022. After two years of the coronavirus pandemic, Santiago’s major festivals return with the the most traditional and popular events such as the pilgrimage, the battle of flowers, La Rama, the night of the fireworks, the concert of the municipal band, the procession, the cattle fair, the horse race and the election of Guayarmina and Bentejuí will be celebrated. See more information for the festivities The Canary Islands Guide HERE!
It really is a festive weekend not to be missed! tuesday july 26 is a public holiday in Gáldar – Fiestas de Santa Ana, co-patroness of the municipality.
Friday, a very popular and lively parade through the streets of the city center from 9:00 p.m., with decorated paper horses and giant dolls.
The parade goes from Plaza San Sebastian to the main church where the burning of the wheels of the fire horses creates a spectacle. Traditional Volcán Anunciador fireworks from the top of Gáldar mountain at 11:00 p.m., followed by a street party with the Armonía Show orchestra and Eventus DJ in the Plaza de Santiago.
Saturdaythe institutional act of twinning with the city of Machico (in Madeira, Portugal) will take place at 7:00 p.m. at the Town Hall Theater, at 9:00 p.m. the concert of the Municipal Music with the participation of the Chelys Odalys Choir at the Santiago Squareat 10:30 p.m. The Grand Parade of Calèches will travel through the streets of the historic center.
From 11:30 p.m. on DN7 Festival will start in The fifth with the stars of La Reina del Flow. (Tickets available @ tureservaonline.es)
There will be Eucharists at 12:00 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. that day.
On Sundaythe V Gran Canaria Pilgrimage begins with the Iglesia Parroquial Nuestra Senora del Pilar in the Guanarteme district of the capital from 07:00 in the morning towards the Temple Matriz de Santiago de Los Caballeros.
– At 12:00 p.m. the bells will ring with the launching of salutes in the Temple of Santiago, where the Eucharist will take place at 9:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.
– At 5:00 p.m. Bajada de la Rama de Santiago starts in the Plaza de La Montaña. The pre-Hispanic throwback that now precedes most religious days in Gran Canaria, bringing tree branches down from the hills to the procession.
– at 9:00 p.m. the concert of Maikel Delacalle and La Pantera begins at La Quinta.
– At midnight the bells will ring again but this time also in the historical parishes of the municipality in front of the main temple of Santiago where an audiovisual and drone show will amaze the crowds in addition to the big fireworks at midnight.
Monday is the feast of Santiago de Los Caballeros
– The day begins with the Diana Floreada at 05:00. Then, a morning Eucharist for the pilgrims at 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m.
– at 11:40 a.m. from the town hall, the civic procession will take place with the transfer of the royal banner under Mazas, presided over by the municipal corporation, to the main church of Santiago, where at 12:00 p.m. the Eucharist will begin presided over by the bishop of the diocese of the Canary Islands, José Mazuelos.
– At 1 p.m., the religious procession of the magna is celebrated in the streets of the city center and at 6:00 p.m. a new Eucharist will take place.
– At 7:00 p.m. in the vicinity of the Plaza de Santiago, the flower fight will take place in the Plaza de Santiago
– the festive day ends with the concert by Antonio José at 9:00 p.m. in La Quinta cultural square and a street party at 11:00 p.m. in the plaza de Santiago with the Panamaribe orchestra.